Monday, March 6, 2017

Song for Day 47 - "Who By Fire?" by Leonard Cohen

Songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen (1934-2016).
Day 47 - "Who By Fire?" by Leonard Cohen

     On Day 45 (not to be confused with Dolt 45) we discussed the need for more expansive, inclusive language.  For example, when Blue state residents use the word "swagger" they mean confidence, if not arrogance.  Were a southerner to employ the term it would refer to quiet strength.

      To wit, the stereotypical red stater prefers calm conviction to bombast, John Wayne's [fictitious] characters to Genghis Don's [equally fictitious] "character".  This may seem like a trivial, tangential factoid but it may well lead to the ultimate departure of Schmuck à l'Orange.

Songwriter Bob Dylan.
     The difference between morality and religion is the difference between Home Hardware and IKEA.  Morality is the basic, undeniable logic of "The Golden Rule" underpinned by the primordial need to improve individually and collectively.  Hierarchical religion is even simpler:  open the book and do what it says.  Notwithstanding the efforts of Jesuits, there isn't much need for reflection or discussion.  As the Bob Dylan tune, "Highway 61", points out: 

Oh, God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son."
Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on!"
God said, "No."  Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want, Abe, but
The next time you see me comin', you better run!"
Well, Abe said, "Where d'you want this killin' done?"
God said, "Out on Highway 61."


     Were an all-powerful being to demand that an atheist kill his own son the response might be more along the lines of "Go forth and multiply!"

Singer Suzanne Vega.
     On Day 46 we made the point that local ministers may be uniquely qualified to "read the crowd" and render a political message in language tinged with theological overtones.  In my estimation, and unlike that of every other anglophone demographic, southern speech is more likely to include biblical references than Shakespearean ones.

     Leonard Cohen was a secular Jew who once conducted an interview with answers taken entirely from the Bible.  He may have been un Canadien errant living most of his life in Greece but he understood the role of scripture in conservative America as a lingua franca.

"The Story Of Isaac", performed here by Suzanne Vega, is in the nature of a sermon: 


    "Who By Fire?" is more subtle and aesthetically pleasing.  As such, it appeals to audiences within and beyond red state borders.  The song is rooted in a Jewish prayer, "Unetanneh Tokef", ostensibly written by 11th century German rabbi Amnon of Mainz (whose feet and hands were cut off for refusing to convert to Christianity, and who subsequently unveiled his creation in his synagogue before collapsing) and recited on the Day of Atonement.   This is the most relevant excerpt:
On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed – how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die at his predestined time and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword and who by beast, who by famine and who by thirst, who by upheaval and who by plague, who by strangling and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted?
     There have been many covers but none captures the authenticity of Cohen's studio version



Lyrics:

Who By Fire?

And who by fire, who by water,
Who in the sunshine, who in the night time,
Who by high ordeal, who by common trial,
Who in your merry merry month of may,
Who by very slow decay,
And who shall I say is calling?
And who in her lonely slip, who by barbiturate,
Who in these realms of love, who by something blunt,
And who by avalanche, who by powder,
Who for his greed, who for his hunger,
And who shall I say is calling?
And who by brave assent, who by accident,
Who in solitude, who in this mirror,
Who by his lady's command, who by his own hand,
Who in mortal chains, who in power,
And who shall I say is calling?

The Story of Isaac:

The door it opened slowly,
My father he came in,
I was nine years old.
And he stood so tall above me,
His blue eyes they were shining
And his voice was very cold.
He said, "I've had a vision
And you know I'm strong and holy,
I must do what I've been told."
So he started up the mountain,
I was running, he was walking,
And his axe was made of gold.
Well, the trees they got much smaller,
The lake a lady's mirror,
We stopped to drink some wine.
Then he threw the bottle over.
Broke a minute later
And he put his hand on mine.
Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture,
I never could decide.
Then my father built an altar,
He looked once behind his shoulder,
He knew I would not hide.
You who build these altars now
To sacrifice these children,
You must not do it anymore.
A scheme is not a vision
And you never have been tempted
By a demon or a god.
You who stand above them now,
Your hatchets blunt and bloody,
You were not there before,
When I lay upon a mountain
And my father's hand was trembling
With the beauty of the word.
And if you call me brother now,
Forgive me if I inquire,
"just according to whose plan?"
When it all comes down to dust
I will kill you if I must,
I will help you if I can.
When it all comes down to dust
I will help you if I must,
I will kill you if I can.
And mercy on our uniform,
Man of peace or man of war,
The peacock spreads his fan.

Un Canadien Errant

Un canadien errant
Banni de ses foyers
Parcourait en pleurant
Des pays étrangers

Un jour triste et pensif
Assis au bord des flots
Au courant fugitif
Il adressa ces mots :

«Si tu vois mon pays
«Mon pays malheureux
«Va dire à mes amis
«Que je me souviens d'eux

«Ô jours si plein d’appâts
«Vous êtes disparus
«Mais ma patrie hélas
«Je ne la verrai plus

«Non, mais en expirant
«Ô mon cher Canada
»Mon regard languissant
«Vers toi se portera

«Si tu vois mon pays
«Mon pays malheureux
«Va dire à mes amis
«Que je me souviens d'eux»

Translation :

A wandering canadian
Banished from his home
Traveled while crying
Some foreign countries

A sad and thoughtful day
Sat next to the waving water
To the fleeing current
He spoke those words:

"If you go in my country
"My sad country
"Go tell all my friends
"That I remember them

"O days full of charm
"You have dissapeared
"But my homeland alas!
"I will see no more

"No, but when I'll expire (die)
"O my dear Canada
"My languishing eyes
"Will turn on you

"If you go in my country
"My sad country
"Go tell all my friends
"That I remember them"?



No comments:

Post a Comment