Thursday, January 26, 2017

Song for Day 7 of a 4 Year Funeral

Day 7 - "Black Boys on Mopeds" by Sinéad O'Connor

     The death of 21 year old Colin Roach  in 1983 sparked outrage and an inquiry in Britain, remaining a cause célèbre for years afterwards.  In March, 1990, Sinéad O'Connor's second album "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got"  was released, including "Black Boys on Mopeds", the equally haunting "Three Babies", and the hits "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Feel So Different".

     One of many turning points in 2016 was the confrontation between the eventual Democratic nominee and Black Lives Matter advocate, Ashley Williams  in Charleston, South Carolina on 2016-02-24.



Lyrics:

Margareth Thatcher on TV
Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing
It seems strange that she should be offended
The same orders are given by her
I've said this before now
You said I was childish and you'll say it now
Remember what I told you
If they hated me they will hate you
England's not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It's the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds
And I love my boy and that's why I'm leaving
I don't want him to be aware that there's
Any such thing as grieving
Young mother down at Smithfield
Five a.m., looking for food for her kids
In her arms she holds three cold babies
And the first word that they learned was please
These are dangerous days
To say…

Links:

Day 1 (The Inauguration) - "Hands" - Jewel

Day 2 (The Million Woman March) - "Testimony" by Ferron, sung by Marcelle Davies Lashley

Day 3 - "Ruins" - by Cat Stevens
 

Day 4 - "Eve of Destruction" (1964) - by P. F. Sloan performed by Barry McGuire

Day 5 - "Hypersensive Jester" - by Denny Guy

Day 6 - "Teresa" - by John Stewart

Day 7 - "Black Boys on Mopeds" by Sinéad O'Connor

Day 8 - "Burn, Baby, Burn" - by Bruce Cockburn

Day 9 - "Black Day in July" - by Gordon Lightfoot

Day 10 - "Democracy is Coming" - Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment