Friday, February 24, 2017

Song for Day 36 of a 4 Year Funeral - "Patience" by Guns 'n Roses

Day 36 - "Patience" by Guns 'n Roses

     From yesterday's edition:
 Two years later we lost RFK and Martin Luther King.  It wasn't until Obama in 2012 that Democrats had another nominee win more than 50% of the vote.  Our problem is in finding candidates that both centrists and progressives will support.

Guns 'N Roses.
     Wait, what is this redneck, Axl Rose, doing here?

     Patience, Grasshopper.  Things will get a little more confusing but all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

     Many of us here are itching to get rid of this Comb-Over Caligula and his minions.  We'd love to fast forward to 2020 and relegate this Akhenaten Wannabee and His Band of Reclown to the dustbin of history.

     In the DNC debate on February 22nd, 2017, candidate Pete Buttigieg (Mayor of South Bend, Indiana) said:  
 ...we treat the presidency as the only office that matters.  Our opponents on the Republican side have patiently and cleverly built majorities at the state house level, Congress--it's not just about what the White House, and when we fail to recognize that we get into a whole lot of trouble even when we have the White House, having our policies obstructed...

     The point being made has more to do with the video than the song or the singer.  The venue is an old, dilapidated building, no longer in use as public accommodation and finally demolished seven years later, in 2006.  As in real life, most of Axl Rose's band mates disappear, abandoning him.  It's a lovely song, apparently written for his wife/girlfriend,  Erin Everly, who also left him.  It can resonate with a listener old enough to remember the Kennedys, Martin Luther King, and so many other departed souls. 

     In the end, the video is what it is:  a lonely plea for patience, the voice among the last emanating from the hotel where Bobby was assassinated.



Lyrics:  "Patience" (1989)

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you
I'm still alright to smile
Girl, I think about you every day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt you're in my heart now
Said woman take it slow, and it'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience
Said sugar make it slow and we'll come together fine
All we need is just a little patience (Patience)
Mm, yeah
I sit here on the stairs
'Cause I'd rather be alone
If I can't have you right now, I'll wait dear
Sometimes I get so tense but I can't speed up the time
But you know love there's one more thing to consider
Said woman take it slow and things will be just fine
You and I'll just use a little patience
Said sugar take the time 'cause the lights are shining bright
You and I've got what it takes to make it
We won't fake it, I'll never break it
'Cause I can't take it

Little patience, mm yeah, mm yeah
Need a little patience, yeah
Just a little patience, yeah
Some more patience, yeah (I've been walking the streets at night, just trying to get it right)
A little patience, yeah (Its hard to see with so many around
You know I don't like being stuck in the crowd)
Could use some patience, yeah (And the streets don't change but maybe the names)
(I ain't got time for the game 'cause I need you)
Gotta have more patience, yeah (Yeah, yeah but I need you)
All need some patience (Ooh I need you, whoa I need you)
Just a little patience is all you need (Ooh, this time, ah)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment